Re: OT: Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 11:37:08AM +0100, Wulfy wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

Which was my point. Using "Jaegermeister" is locale independent.

So? A misconfigured system is no reason for changing the spelling of something. Change the cause not the effect...

Well, it's not really a *mis*spelling. It's been an accepted alternate apelling on typewriters and such for at least a century when those typewriters don't have the proper character on them. But it is only an apternate spelling.

It's actually the "original" spelling. On old documents (I had to
read some Middle High German and some Old German for some courses
in University) one can see that the origin of the umlaut mark
(the diaresis) on the "a" and the "o". It's actually written as
a little "e" above the letter. I don't recall what was written
over the "u", as the origin of that umlaut is different from that
of the "a" and "o" (it is actually the assimilation of an "i",
not an "e").

So, that spelling pre-dates the use of the diaresis by several
centuries.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.