Re: OT: Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?

Digby Tarvin wrote:
ISO is not the same as text. Most character sets only display ASCII in a standard way.
Unicode is text...  just not ASCII.
When I read your original message I see a Cyrillic capital 'D' between
the 'J' and the 'germeister'. If I use vi or cat to view the message, I
see 'J=E4germeister' or 'J0xe4germeister', which is less than clear..
Not if you have your locale set to a UTF-8 locale like en_GB-UTF-8...
If you want your message to be understood by people that are not using
graphical applications to read their email then it is best to stick to
ASCII text.
I looked at his original message using both vi and cat. It came through OK. It's a matter of locale and fonts not "text".
I am in the UK, but I never try to use shift-3 to insert a pound symbol
into an email, because I know that not everyone uses a compatable character
set.

Of course in a person to person email, if you know what your correspondent
is using then it is OK, but definately a bad idea on a public list.

Regards,
DigbyT
--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Respect the elders. Teach the young. Co-operate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.