Re: OT: Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 10:50:06AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 09:33, Mike McCarty wrote:
> > Paul Johnson wrote:
> > > Nope, it's Jägermeister.  It's one of my favorite drinks.
> >
> > Pardon, but in this context the appropriate form is to expand
> > the umlaut. It is inappropriate to put characters like that
> > into a text-only message.
>
> There isn't anything non-ISO about "ä", including it in a message doesn't make
> it "not text only".  The "ae" is a poorman form of "æ".

ISO is not the same as text. Most character sets only display ASCII
in a standard way.

When I read your original message I see a Cyrillic capital 'D' between
the 'J' and the 'germeister'. If I use vi or cat to view the message, I
see 'J=E4germeister' or 'J0xe4germeister', which is less than clear..

If you want your message to be understood by people that are not using
graphical applications to read their email then it is best to stick to
ASCII text.

I am in the UK, but I never try to use shift-3 to insert a pound symbol
into an email, because I know that not everyone uses a compatable character
set.

Of course in a person to person email, if you know what your correspondent
is using then it is OK, but definately a bad idea on a public list.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com