Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

Steve Lamb wrote:
Digby Tarvin wrote:

Consequently I think Debian's more restrictive policy on hardware support
during and after installation is a disadvantage. By all means give preference
to free and open software where there are alternatives, but the time to worry
about the open source friendlyness of the hardware is when making the original
purchase, not during the install.

    I agree.  I'm all for openness and freedom, don't get me wrong.  But I
hardly see how openness and freedom that forces people into a certain position
is either open or free.  It's just another close position.  If it is our
machine then where's the fault in us doing what we want with it?  Especially
in cases where a free and open alternative often doesn't exist.

This is a very reasonable and sensible position. Unfortunately,
in fora like this one, making such a reasonable and straightforward
statement can get you flamed. I once made some statements about
Open Office, and how it has some shortcuts which really shouldn't
be there, and why I used MicroSoft Word to do a resume when
a prospective employer specifically asked for Word format, and
got flamed (not here) severely, and chastised for "playing their
game" and contributing to everything evil (presumably to global
warming as well :-).

Not here, it's true (I won't mention the mail echo name), but
you may need to gird your loins with asbestos underwear.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.