Re: OT: Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Wednesday 19 April 2006 07:00, Mike McCarty wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 13:50 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

No. If you look closely, you'll see that I put those symbols
inside of slash marks. That means that they are phonemes,
and the /j/ phoneme indicates a sound similar to the consonantal
"y" in English, as in "yet". As an example of another two words

Oh, "j" like "jagermeister"?

Yes, similar, except that should be "Jaegermeister".

Nope, it's Jägermeister.  It's one of my favorite drinks.

Pardon, but in this context the appropriate form is to expand
the umlaut. It is inappropriate to put characters like that
into a text-only message.

In any case, the articulation of the english /j/ and the german
/j/ is not the same.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.