Re: OT: Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 09:33, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Nope, it's Jägermeister.  It's one of my favorite drinks.
>
> Pardon, but in this context the appropriate form is to expand
> the umlaut. It is inappropriate to put characters like that
> into a text-only message.

There isn't anything non-ISO about "ä", including it in a message doesn't make
it "not text only".  The "ae" is a poorman form of "æ".

> In any case, the articulation of the english /j/ and the german
> /j/ is not the same.

It has more of a /y/ sound in German, no?

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber