Re: OT: Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?

Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Wulfy wrote:
>> Digby Tarvin wrote:
>>> When I read your original message I see a Cyrillic capital 'D' between
>>> the 'J' and the 'germeister'. If I use vi or cat to view the message, I
>>> see 'J=E4germeister' or 'J0xe4germeister', which is less than clear..
>>>
>> Not if you have your locale set to a UTF-8 locale like en_GB-UTF-8...
>
> Which was my point. Using "Jaegermeister" is locale independent.

Mutt (and any recent user agent) should be able to recognize character
encodings as defined in a mail header and translate it into whatever
locale is used.  Of course it can not display characters that don't
have a representation in the encoding used by the locale or in the
font you are using.  But, it should not display some other characters
(like a Cyrillic capital "D" instead of a German "a" umlaut).

The whole character mess is going on and on.  I can only encourage
everybody to just use UTF-8 as character encoding.  Which user agents
are left that can not deal with that?

Matthias