Re: OT: Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 11:44, Digby Tarvin wrote:

> If you want your message to be understood by people that are not using
> graphical applications to read their email then it is best to stick to
> ASCII text.
>
> I am in the UK, but I never try to use shift-3 to insert a pound symbol
> into an email, because I know that not everyone uses a compatable character
> set.

But the character set is defined by the header.  If your system can't
determine and display the right character set, it's time to go spend $40 for
an old 486, a Debian CD and some lunch.

Besides, it's a very reasonable expectation for anybody on an English speaking
list to be using ISO-Latin-1, Latin-15, UTF8 or ASCII, which save for ASCII
have everything in common for the characters I know how to type.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber