Re: OT: Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?

Digby Tarvin <digbyt@acm.org> writes:

> Let me re-iterate in case that wasn't clear enough. There are many text
> formats, of which ISO *is* one. But ASCII is the only subset common to
> almost all, and consequently IMHO is the most appropriate for a public
> formum where you can't make assumptions about the locale or operating
> system of all readers...

Nobody needs to make assumptions.  That's what the charset parameter
in the Content-Type header is for.  It is up to a properly configured
user agent to translate the used encoding into one the display can
handle.  Of course not all characters might be available there.

Matthias