Re: Mail-Followup-To in muttng? [was Re: Thought on receiving two answers...]

"Monique Y. Mudama" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> writes:

> On 2006-04-19, Wayne Topa penned:
>>>

>> folder-hook debian-user my_hdr Reply-To:
>> 'debian-user@lists.debian.org'
>
> It must be considered harmful by somebody:
>
> http://gmane.org/faq.php
>
> [quote]
> But I did use a valid email address.
> Perhaps you did in your From, but your Reply-To address pointed to the
> mailing list. Don't do that.
> [/quote]
>
> Other than that (and I'm not sure why they don't like it), it sounds
> like a reasonable approach to me.

There is a distinction between a reply (goes to the sender) and a
followup (goes to the list).  Gnus for example supports both concepts
(don't know about other user agents).  Now if somebody wants to send a
(private) reply to the sender and the sender had set Reply-To to the
list the mail goes to the list instead.  This might be not a good
thing.

Another aspect is that there is no convenient way to send a private
reply to the sender when he had set Reply-To to the list.  You then
can only do this by manually copy/paste of the From address.

The worst is when the list manager software automaticalle sets
Reply-To to the list address.

Matthias