Re: lists.debian.org vs google groups

Mike McCarty wrote:
Sumo Wrestler (or just ate too much) wrote:
[...]
My e-mail address is "rather uninviting" to spammers :)

Apropos of this, it could be done better.

sumo.wrestler.0rj82m+no.spam.abuse@earthlink.net

has a valid domain,

Which is perfectly acceptable and necessary.

which results in actual sending and delivery
of an e-mail.

No it does not. If you were a spammer, would you want to send spam to
abuse@earthlink.net? I think not.

Robots which mine this address will flood the net
with e-mails which must be discarded by earthlink.net.

I've received two spams in the month that I've been a subscriber (and
poster). Spammers are avoiding my e-mail like the plague.

A better solution to this is to use something like

sumo.wrestler@NOSPAMearthlink.net

To subscribe, an actual e-mail address must be submitted.

This results in the sender being unable to find the destination,
and eventually giving up on sending the  email in the first
place.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Mike