Re: syslog

Adam Hardy wrote:
[...]
I tried excluding it via /etc/syslog,conf, but I don't know which facility.priority it is being logged with.

How can I find out?

I recently had much fun (sarcasm) doing this. The only way I could find was to create separate logfiles for each facility:

auth.*			-/root/tmp/auth
authpriv.*		-/root/tmp/authpriv
cron.*			-/root/tmp/cron
[ ... many more as such ... ]

After I found out what facility was logging, I commented out the above lines and added priority lines for that facility:

daemon.=emerg		-/root/tmp/daemon.emerg
daemon.=alert		-/root/tmp/daemon.alert
daemon.=crit		-/root/tmp/daemon.crit
[ ... many more as such ... ]

After I found out what priority the logging had, I commented out those lines but left them in place in case I'd ever need them again.

Read "man 3 syslog" to get the lists of facilities and levels.

Now, for those programmers and documentation writers who fail to reveal what facilities and priorities their software applications are using, a virtual spanking:

(thwaaap) (thwaaap) (thwaaap!)