Re: lists.debian.org vs google groups

Matthew R. Dempsky wrote:

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:28:59AM +0100, Doofus wrote:
I'll never accept this reasoning. To my mind it takes openness to a level that just causes unnecessary grief for many legitimate users.

What unnecessary grief?

Take a look through the debian-user archive for March 2006. Count how many spam messages actually hit the list.

Yes, I did that with Pacsal's help (see below), and take your point. The absolute numbers of unblocked spams makes it difficult for anyone to whine about it too much. No spam at all would be even better though, and I still haven't read a reasoned case for leaving the list open for posting to The World, subscribed or not.

Then compare that to how many messages were spent responding to (and even translating) the occasional spam, arguing whether fruit is on topic, redundantly discussing about petsupermarket, misdirected unsubscribe emails, and incessent whining about the openness of the lists.

I take your point here too; none of these disussions have much to do with debian. I just needed some honest and accurate figures really. Maybe an automated monthly post summarising the number of posts received / number of spams blocked / number of spams passed through would serve to squash threads like this before they begin.

I wouldn't equate this thread to the fruit and vegetable thing. I found that pathetic to the point of embarassment, but we're all different I suppose...