Re: Request to remove Information

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 18:24 +0000, marc wrote:
> Ron Johnson said...

> > [snip]
[snip]

> > Man, after all is a social creature, and "individualism" is a
> > relatively new concept.  European peasants would not understand
> > it, and "The nail that sticks up will be hammered down" has been
> > a Japanese proverb for hundreds of years.
>
> "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was
> greatest before there was any civilization, though then, it is true, it
> had for the most part no value, since the individual was scarcely in a
> position to defend it. The development of civilization imposes
> restrictions on it, and justice demands that no one shall escape those
> restrictions."

I scoff at this idea.  The human banished from a pre-civ hunter-
gatherer group was in a *world* of trouble.  Life was too precarious
and difficult.

>       Sigmund Freud, Civilization and Its Discontents, 1929

He was a psychiatrist[0], why should I believe anything he wrote.

[0] Technically, a neurologist, mainly because there was no such
thing as psychiatry back then.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Never for the sake of peace and quiet deny your convictions."
Dag Hammarskjold