Re: SATA Installing Problem

silvain van Weers said...
> On 11/25/05, Bruno Buys <brunobuys@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Did you try to install the 2.4 kernel? Although some claim otherwise,
> > >the 2.6 kernel installation is impossible (it was last time I tried, a
> > >couple of months ago, and things seem to not have changed). Fact is
> > >that 2.6 kernels detect SATA drives as SCSI, and therefore name them
> > >/dev/sdaX. Problem is the installer creates a /etc/fstab with /dev/hdaX
> > >entries for SATAs, hence the filesystem cannot be mounted after reboot
> > >

> > ???? I´m positive this didn´t happen to me. Installed recently over a
> > sata disk. In fact it names
> > the device /dev/sda, but fstab is created correctly, with expert26 as a
> > parameter for the installer.
> >
> Thanx for your replies. I guess my laptop is too new...

I doubt it, though laptop installs can be fun... if that's the right
word.

> I tried using
> the older 2.4 and 2.6 kernel (and tried expert modes), but the
> installer just won't get past through partition step: "no partionable
> media found".
> There is also no option in my vaio's bios which lets me choose IDE
> mode or anything... Seems I have to use winxp as a result.

I would recommend attempting booting with Knoppix. Debian is still
relatively poor at detecting and setting up recent hardware correctly,
so if you can at least boot with Knoppix, then you know that a Debian
install can be achieved. It's a great confidence boost to know that you
aren't pissing in the wind when trying to install Debian.

> I wonder how SATA support will be enhanced in linux in the future;
> seeing the posts of people having trouble mounting/installing SATA
> devices..

It's very "enhanced" already. There is a lot of controller support
available via the kernel - although there is always some lag from the
bleeding edge - it just sometimes takes some nudging to get it right.

I certainly agree that a bigger effort should be made to get this
sorted, since it is inevitably resulting in folk walking away. But
perhaps that's not the goal of the developers <shrug>

--
Best,
Marc