Re: Newsreader: Best of the bunch?

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 18:33 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> %% John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> writes:
>
>   jh> Steve Lamb wrote:
[snip]
> Anyway, screen is not the same thing _at all_.  Editing a single file
> can be done with any editor, true, but a true multi-buffer editor can do
> so much more: you can see many buffers at the same time, you can cut
> and paste between them, you can insert one into the other, you can
> compare them, you can ...
>
> Emacs let you deal with mail, news, edit lots of code at the same time,
> plus it had a file manager, could run your compiles, and a bunch of
> other stuff... all with a unified and flexible interface.
>
> Emacs was really the first "desktop environment and IDE" for a time
> before there were even desktops or IDEs.

"Unified environments" weren't that unusual.  DEC had ALL-In-One,
for example, though it was an end-user environment, not for geeks.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Every kind of peaceful cooperation among men is primarily based
on mutual trust and only secondarily on institutions such as
courts of justice and police."
Albert Einstein