Re: Newsreader: Best of the bunch?

%% John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> writes:

  jh> Steve Lamb wrote:

  >> Personally I can only go back as far as my first unix experience
  >> which is 10 years ago.  I know that screen existed then as I used it all
  >> the time on Netcom.  However since that's as far back as I can personally
  >> verify that is why I am asking for verification of your statement.

  jh> The earliest date I see in the Screen source is 1987.

I started using Emacs on Vaxen (with REAL vt100 terminals) in 1984
(yikes!  Dating myself now... :-/).

That was Gosling Emacs though, not GNU Emacs.

Anyway, screen is not the same thing _at all_.  Editing a single file
can be done with any editor, true, but a true multi-buffer editor can do
so much more: you can see many buffers at the same time, you can cut
and paste between them, you can insert one into the other, you can
compare them, you can ...

Emacs let you deal with mail, news, edit lots of code at the same time,
plus it had a file manager, could run your compiles, and a bunch of
other stuff... all with a unified and flexible interface.

Emacs was really the first "desktop environment and IDE" for a time
before there were even desktops or IDEs.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@nortel.com>           HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
        These are my opinions--Nortel takes no responsibility for them.