Re: Newsreader: Best of the bunch?

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 09:08:29AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> furufuru@ccsr.u-tokyo.ac.jp wrote:
> > programming. (One important aspect of that kind of integration
> > is that you don't have to remember different shortcut keys, such as
> > C-a for jumping to the top of the line, C-g for interrupting,
> > and C-s for searching.)
>
>     Which is why every other piece of software pretty much does it the other
> 'way around.  IE, they call your text editor of choice.  Far more elegant to
> program a mail client and call the text editor than to program the mail client
> in the text editor.  What happens when you want to switch text editors?
> Whoops, have to switch mail clients too.

To be fair, emacs was written in tha ancient days before graphical user
iterfaces, when all you had was a single serial connection to a single
command-line interpreter.  No mechanism even for multiple virtual CLI
consoles.  So using its multiple text buffers in split-screen more was
a godsend, opeionc shells within emacs buffers was wonderful, and being
able to use things like gnus was a great convenience.  emacs *was* the
GUI of the text-only console.

The world has changed since then.  Ancient design decisions go obsolete.
I'm using emacs inside my mail reader, instead of the other way around.

-- hendrik