Re: Newsreader: Best of the bunch?

Paul Smith wrote:
> Anyway, screen is not the same thing _at all_.

    Never said it was.  I was asking for confirmation that Emacs predated the
ability to have multiple virtual CLIs.  I quoted a single line, not the entire
message.   Be that as it may I'll run with your misconception of my point...

> you can see many buffers at the same time,

    Screen, multiple views.

> you can cut and paste between them,

    Screen, C&P between different windows (^A[ and ^A]).

> you can insert one into the other

    Better known as reading a file into the middle of another, that's not
unique to multi-buffer editors.

> you can compare them,

    Diff, or if you mean just a quick visual glance, multiple windows in screen.

> Emacs let you deal with mail, news, edit lots of code at the same time,
> plus it had a file manager, could run your compiles, and a bunch of
> other stuff... all with a unified and flexible interface.

    I see nothing in there screen cannot enable someone to do.  Screen is the
multiplexor that would allow someone to deal with mail, news, edit lots of
code, use a file manater, run compiles and a bunch of other stuff.  "Unified
interface" is just another word for "monolithic" and really doesn't apply.
Only a few items really need to be "unified" between applications.  The rest
is just hand-waving to make it seem like you're not learning keys for two
different functions.