Re: Newsreader: Best of the bunch?

Paul Smith said...
> %% marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> writes:
>
>   m> Sorry for not having responded to this thread yet, but I'm still
>   m> trying out all the suggestions. I thought that Pan would do, but it
>   m> has a couple of flaws that I can't live with.
>
> I didn't see the original thread so I don't know if anyone suggested
> this already, but the best newsreader I've ever used is Emacs Gnus.

I keep running up against Emacs, so maybe I should at least start on
that road.

> You can run Emacs in X mode and it's basically text but with useful
> windows stuff (you can select articles with the mouse, popup menus for
> odd things, etc.)

GUI !=> mouse use
a lot of folk imply that, but I don't understand why. Funnily enough, I
tend to use the mouse more in KDE than Windows - but that's probably
because I have migrated toward apps that don't require much, if any,
mouse input on Windows. Nevertheless, it still stands that GUI !=> mouse

> It's got more features than you can imagine, but you don't need to use
> them to get started.

I have tried with Emacs before, but it's like learning Japanese, where
every word and piece of grammar is different - at least you can have a
guess at a French word.

--
Best,
Marc