Re: Newbie wants Firefox and Tbird

Steve Lamb wrote:
>     Would you then agree that the supposed benefits of sudo in a single-user
> environment are far outweighed by the troubles of trying to wrangle people
> into using it instead of just teaching them good habits (regardless of tools)
> and getting them working.

    Y'know what, I recall my statement.  It is wrong and I'm surprised Kent
and gang didn't hit upon it.  I recalled my personal usage and came up with
one example where sudo provides a method of doing something that would
otherwise be a pain in the ass to do without it.  Non-interactive scripts
which require root for one portion can obtain root through sudo to a specific
file because sudo has the NOPASSWD clause.  By giving one or two essential
commands over to a script user with sudo it's possible to get around some
pesky permission problems without jumping through more convoluted hoops.
Granted I don't recommend people give NOPASSWD access to a script that did
copies and unlinks like mine did but it was a single-user machine and if
someone were able to get on it to exploit that script I'd have larger problems
to contend with.  ;)