Re: Newbie wants Firefox and Tbird

Kent West wrote:
> The original claim was that sudo provides no benefit on a single-user
> machine.

    Correct.

> We both seem to agree that sudo provides logging.

    Correct.

> You claim that you don't need logging on a single-user machine, because
> you know what you (the single-user admin) did when, whereas I claim that
> I find it useful to have a record of what I've done when.

    While that record may be useful as I have pointed out it is not the only
way that logging of what you've done can be achieved.  One doesn't need sudo
to log when one installs things.  aptitude, which amazingly as the de facto
standard for Debian currently, logs information so your provided example is
moot.  While I'm sure you can contrive other examples the idea of logging
commands as an incidental reminder of other things is hardly a top priority
when people are installing sudo and thus I don't think exactly falls under a
benefit of sudo.  Generally speaking when people want to have a reminder of
something they might get better utility of a pen and a pad of post-its than sudo.

> So, are you saying the logging provided by sudo on a single-user machine
> is or is not a benefit?

   I'm saying that it is irrelevant on a single-user machine as pretty much
any reason that one would want logging does not apply to a single user machine
and any contrived examples are incidental and generally applicable to a dozen
or three other applications in both the incidental sense or in the specific
sense.  IE, want a reminder on the computer, get a PIM application.  Etc.

    The benefit of sudo logging is so when multiple people are engaged in root
level operations and something gets toasted an individual other than the one
who toasted that something has a snowball's chance in hell of being able to
repair it by first reviewing the logs to: