Re: Newbie wants Firefox and Tbird

Steve Lamb wrote:

>Kent West wrote:
>

>>So, I'm confused. Are you saying that the logging capability of sudo
>>provides a benefit on a single-user machine (my claim), or not (the
>>original claim)?
>>

>    I pointed out that sudo provides logging.  You got into the semantics of
>logging "Ah-HA, you said only who and what, but it also includes WHEN!"  My
>original point regardless of which W word attached to it is that sudo provides
>logging of whom did what.  In a single-user machine that is known.

I'm still confused.

The original claim was that sudo provides no benefit on a single-user
machine.

We both seem to agree that sudo provides logging.

You claim that you don't need logging on a single-user machine, because
you know what you (the single-user admin) did when, whereas I claim that
I find it useful to have a record of what I've done when.

So, are you saying the logging provided by sudo on a single-user machine
is or is not a benefit?

>    Let's see....  Only I have access to root.  It must've been...  Kernel
>Kustard in /dev/audio with gcc that changed my apache.conf file!  Nope, sorry,
>I know whom did it...  ME.  I know what I did.  I was there doing it!  I don't
>need logging to tell me that!

Oh, you're saying that the logging provided by sudo on a single-user
machine is not a benefit.

Okay, I can see that you don't find benefit in using sudo. I still
disagree with the global claim (which is what this entire thread has
been about) that there is "*NO* benefit" to using sudo on a single-user
machine.

>>However, if one
>>person, anywhere, finds sudo to be of benefit on a single-user machine,
>>then the claim that there is "*NO* benefit of sudo" is simply incorrect.
>>(I myself am such a person, so this is not just a hypothetical possibility.)
>>

>    Just becaonse one person finds benefit doesn't mean the benefit is real,
>tangible and generally applicable.

I don't believe I ever said the benefit was generally applicable. What I
said is that the claim that there is "*NO* benefit" to using sudo on a
single-user machine is incorrect.

If you are correct that any perceived benefits are not real and
tangible, then the claim that there is no benefit to using sudo on a
single-user machine is correct.

I believe there are tangible benefits to using sudo on a single-user
machine.
You disagree.

It seems to me to be a matter of opinion.

If so, then the claim that there is "*NO* benefit" of using sudo on a
single-user machine is not a fact, but is an opinion. So perhaps I was
wrong to say that the claim is incorrect; I should have said that it's
not factual.

--
Kent West
Technology Support