Re: Programming Languages, "to C or not to C, that is the Q."

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:22:06 -0500
Carl Fink <carlf@fink.to> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 05:49:06AM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
>
> > BTW, the are cases where c will give you better results then assembly as
> > the compiler's optimizer can a lot of time do better work then the
> > person.
>
> So, if I use Python and py2c, I can produce code more optimized than
> assembly?  Cool.

Not exactly. If its got a good optimizer then you will have to work very hard on
tweaking the assembly code in order to achieve the same optimization. No idea
how good the code produced by py2c is.

Compiler optimization can do all sorts of strange and wonderful things (or
potentially dangerous, the reason why -O3 should be used with care. Most
noticeable if you debug optimized code and step by instruction, especially
around loops. The debugger tends to start hopping around which can be scary if
you don't know whats going on).