Re: Programming Languages, "to C or not to C, that is the Q."

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 15:23 -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 11:46:46PM -0500, J.F.Gratton wrote:
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there a few (well ok, at least one)
> > OS written in SmallTalk ? I seem to remember that from my computer
> > science courses. I could be something planted in my memory by some evil
> > alien that wanted to promote wide-spread use of SmallTalk, tho :)
> >

> IMHO, the real test of a HLL for use on big, serious projects is
> whether or not the compiler for the language is written in the

Why is that The Real Test?  What makes self-compilation such a
big deal?

IMNSHO, it's a bogus test.

> language itself. Of course the first compiler for a new language must
> be written in some other language (assembler code is a language).
>
> C was, I believe, the first language for which self compiling was an
> explicit goal. It succeeded in reaching that goal and ever after has
> held a special place in programming languages. This is not to say that
> it is the best language for any particular project. But if some part
> of a project turns out to be hard to implement in the language that
> was originally chosen for the project, C will probably be used write
> those parts, or to write a better compiler for the original language.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"If they want peace, nations should avoid the pin-pricks that
precede cannon-shots."
Napoleon Bonaparte