Re: Programming Languages, "to C or not to C, that is the Q."

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 20:53 -0500, Scotty Fitzgerald wrote:
> Thanks for all the responses, I think I will learn C after all,
> it seems to be the most popular for the linux world.
>
> Maybe perl and lisp too.

Since your native languages are BASIC and Pascal (as were mine,
once, long ago), I'd better tell you:
  perl - executable line noise.  Just look at some perl code and
         you'll see
  lisp - lots of insipid stupid parentheses

I'd really recommend you to a good/simple scripting language like
bash or python.  They are both easy to approach, have deep power,
and have some good books about them.

Python especially can do just about anything, application-wise,
that you'd want, without the hassles of C or the hieroglyphics of
perl.

Besides python v2.3, there are 159 external libraries and -doc
packages for python v2.3 that will let you do anything imaginable.
Except write a library or the kernel... ;)

  $ apt-cache search python2.3|grep ^python|sort|wc -l
  160

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"What I got by going to Canada was a cold."
Henry David Thoreau