Colour Printing

I've been trying to print colour images and generally the results have
been very flat... very disappointing for the digital photos.

After fiddling with GIMP, I've found that I can adjust the gamma setting
to 2 to get a decent output- but then the preview on the screen is
lighter than the actual output. Also, that doesn't actually fix the
problem for other software applications such as Open Office.

Is there anyway to fix the printer settings so that what I see is what I
get?

I'm using CUPS, HP DeskJet 830C with the HP software drivers installed.

Thanks

--
God bless you,

Keith Bates