Re: Programming Languages, "to C or not to C, that is the Q."

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 12:04 -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 08:27:05PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > >

> > > IMHO, the real test of a HLL for use on big, serious projects is
> > > whether or not the compiler for the language is written in the
> >
> > Why is that The Real Test?  What makes self-compilation such a
> > big deal?
> >
> > IMNSHO, it's a bogus test.
> >

> I intended that the clause 'for big, serious projects' be understood as
> a restrictive. For a speed programming contest in a high school or college
> computer club, some other criteria would surely be more important.

Some idiot manager decreed that C be used on a large DP project.
Something that COBOL was designed to do: read a record, process it,
write it out.

Because this project used an RDBMS that did not use \0-terminated
strings, memcpy() had to be used everywhere.  What a royal fscking
PITA.

Made me really dislike C, and hate the notion that C is a GP
language.

> In an earlier post to this thread, I expressed the opinion that most
> languages have special merit in some domain. That, in effect, almost all
> are good for something, and that it is unlikely that there will ever be
> a single language that is best in all situations.
>
> All things in moderation.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

Causation does NOT equal correlation !!!!!!!!