Re: [Way off topic] depleted uranium

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 22:08 -0500, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Sam Watkins wrote:

> >>    Cite?  Outside of Hiroshima and Nagasaki I don't recall a
> >>    detonation of any atomic or nuclear device on any civilian
> >>population.
> >

> > google "depleted uranium birth defects pictures".
> >
> > America and the UK made armour-piercing and bunker-piercing shells from
> > nuclear waste (depleted uranium).  These are not conventional nuclear
> > weapons, but dirty bombs.  Depleted uranium was chosen because it is
> > cheap (a waste product) and it is very dense so pierces armour.  It also
> > causes massive fallout and birth defects.  It was used extensively in
> > the gulf and and in yugoslavia, both in shells and in the armour of
> > American tanks.  It is the cause of the "gulf war syndrome" that
> > returned American soldiers have suffered from.
> >

> I am not sure that DU is cause of the "Gulf War Syndrome."  However,
> I think that using DU in munitions and tanks was a big boo-boo on the
> part of the US military.  There were certainly safer alternatives
> available.

What's as effective as DU at piercing modern armor?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"But peace does not rest in the charters and covenants alone. It
lies in the hearts and minds of all people. So let us not rest
all our hopes on parchment and on paper, let us strive to build
peace, a desire for peace, a willingness to work for peace in the
hearts and minds of all of our people. I believe that we can. I
believe the problems of human destiny are not beyond the reach of
human beings."
John F Kennedy