Re: Alternate OSes based on Debian

On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 12:13 -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
> I just got another email that brought to this list.
>
> I know that there are a scattering of projects which are based upon
> Debian (ie: knoppix, ubuntu) but I've heard of a few which are more what
> I'm looking for (ie: k12).
>
> But I'm having a very hard time chasing down any details.
>
> I'm looking for a Debian package set which might be geared towards a
> user who may have any one or more of the following:
> low performance machines
> special needs (deafness in particular, or others)
> low end uses (web, mail, not C/C++ development or servers)
>
> Any suggestions?

One word: Ubuntu

www.ubuntulinux.org

go D/L it or as a side benefit http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org and they
will ship you some CDs, get a few, once people know you have it they'll
go quickly.

The niceness of ubuntu is that even if you have a slow machine or
special needs with web and e-mail you can scale down the "feature set"
easily.

You could do that with Debian, but why not just use something that is
geared for Humans, that is based on Total Technical Geekness - Debian.

They have done some seriously awesome work and deserves to be applauded.
Not to be little Debian, as Ubuntu would be non-existent without it, or
at least seriously not the quality it currently has. This is the benefit
of using Debian as a base to start from.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux