Re: [Way off topic] depleted uranium

Sam Watkins wrote:
On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 02:46:33PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

The worst "terrorist" is America, with your depleted uranium
"dirty-bombs" which you throw around at every opportunity,

   Cite?  Outside of Hiroshima and Nagasaki I don't recall a
   detonation of any atomic or nuclear device on any civilian
population.

google "depleted uranium birth defects pictures".

America and the UK made armour-piercing and bunker-piercing shells from
nuclear waste (depleted uranium).  These are not conventional nuclear
weapons, but dirty bombs.  Depleted uranium was chosen because it is
cheap (a waste product) and it is very dense so pierces armour.  It also
causes massive fallout and birth defects.  It was used extensively in
the gulf and and in yugoslavia, both in shells and in the armour of
American tanks.  It is the cause of the "gulf war syndrome" that
returned American soldiers have suffered from.

I am not sure that DU is cause of the "Gulf War Syndrome."  However,
I think that using DU in munitions and tanks was a big boo-boo on the
part of the US military.  There were certainly safer alternatives
available.

-Roberto Sanchez