Re: permissions with udev/pmount?

Apparently, _Nicolas de Sereville_, on 28/12/04 08:33,typed:

I installed the kernel 2.6.9 through "apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.9-1-k7", but nothing is changing. When I plug in my stick and camera, the devices nodes are created in /dev but the devices are not mounted, neither as a user nor as root (which used to work a few days ago!). I don't remember having changed anything apart from upgrading the system.

The versions of some packages are given here:
ii  dbus-1         0.22-3         simple interprocess messaging system
ii  udev           0.050-2        /dev/ management daemon
ii  hotplug        0.0.20040329-1 Linux Hotplug Scripts
ii  hal            0.4.2-5        Hardware Abstraction Layer
ii gnome-volume-m 1.1.2-5 GNOME daemon to auto-mount and manage media

Reading the man pages of pmount it seems that a few conditions should be verified, which I think is the case:
The mount will succeed if all of the following conditions are met:

- <device> is a block device in /dev/
- <device> is not handled by /etc/fstab (if it is, pmount calls
'/bin/mount <device>' to handle this transparently; supplying a label is not
 allowed in this case)
- <device> is not already mounted according to /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts
- if the mount point already exists, there is no device already mounted at it
 and the directory is empty
- <device> is removable (i. e. on USB or FireWire bus, or
 /sys/block/drive/removable == 1)
- <device> is not locked (see below)

However when I use pmount in a terminal as a normal user ("pmount"), it tells me:
zsh: permission denied: pmount.

Can someone having udev/hal/hotplug/gnome-volume-manager running check the permission of the pmount file. I have:
-rwSr--r--  1 root plugdev 22K 2004-12-16 19:24 /usr/bin/pmount

I tried to make executable this file for everybody and then I can pmount manually the device (pmount /dev/gyp-cl-usb /stick) but it doesn't work automatically when I insert my stick.

Well as you can see I am stuck, so any ideas are welcomed!
Nico

Hi,

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier, been a but visiting people over the holidyas :)

Regarding your USB icon problem, I would suggest you check
1) You are 'hal' and 'plugdev' group member.
2) you have installed:
$> COLUMMNS=150 dpkg -l hal *dbus* gnome-vol* hotplug pmount | grep ^ii
ii  hal            0.4.2-2        Hardware Abstraction Layer
ii  dbus-1         0.22-3         simple interprocess messaging system
ii dbus-glib-1 0.22-3 simple interprocess messaging system (GLib-b ii python2.3-dbus 0.22-3 simple interprocess messaging system (Python ii gnome-volume-m 1.1.2-4 GNOME daemon to auto-mount and manage media
ii  hotplug        0.0.20040329-1 Linux Hotplug Scripts
ii  pmount         0.4.3-1        mount removable devices as normal user

3) that log messages appear in /var/log/syslog since the time you plug in the USB stick till you plug it out. Why don't you list them here?

4) that you have options set to mount removable devices when plugged in or inserted:
$> gnome-volume-properties

Other than that, I guess there is a bug at present in pmount which will delete your mount pont in /media when you unplug your USB stick. There is a bug report about this. It is #286936 in http://debian.org/Bugs

GL,
->HS