Re: [Way off topic] the politics of ubuntu.org

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 22:57 +0000, Benjamin A'Lee wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 02:46:33PM -0800 or thereabouts, Steve Lamb wrote:
> >     Russia - IIRC, Implicated in the same scam and/or sold arms to Saddam
> >     for which he owed millions/billions on.  They had a finacial interest in
> > Iraq either way.
>
> If I remember correctly, the USA also supplied Iraq with weapons, when
> it was fighting Iran.

Sure.  The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

>                         And to the Taliban when it was fighting the
> USSR.

No.  The mujāhidīn, who were very grateful..

> How does that make the USA better than the rest of the world, exactly?

"Whatever may be the moral ambiguities of the so-called demoratic
nations and however serious may be their failure to conform per-
fectly to their democratic ideals, it is sheer moral perversity
to equate the inconsistencies of a democratic civilization with
the brutalities which modern tyrannical states practice."
    Reinhold Nieburhr, ca. 1940

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Being Politically Correct means always having to say you're
sorry."
Charles Osgood