Re: [Way off topic] the politics of ubuntu.org

Benjamin A'Lee wrote:
On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 02:46:33PM -0800 or thereabouts, Steve Lamb wrote:

   Russia - IIRC, Implicated in the same scam and/or sold arms to Saddam
   for which he owed millions/billions on.  They had a finacial interest in
Iraq either way.

If I remember correctly, the USA also supplied Iraq with weapons, when
it was fighting Iran.  And to the Taliban when it was fighting the
USSR.  How does that make the USA better than the rest of the world, exactly?

Not trying to justify it, nor saying that the ends justify the means
(especially since they don't even come close in this case), but how can
you compare:

a. Trying to stop spread of communism

b. "Hey, look how much money we can make if we sell guns to them!"

You can debate the correctness of communism as a philosophy.  However,
you can't deny that the US was ensuring that communism did not spread.
This was one of the stated objectives of the Cold War.

-Roberto Sanchez