Re: Mozilla Thunderbird wierd .....

If moving your whole profile directory (e.g. mv .mozilla-thunderbird
.mozilla-thunderbird.sav) does not
help,

It does help; yes. After a restart the offending thingy is gone.
So I moved it back, restarted again, and it is back.
But I have all my mails in there and can't possible start from scratch.

yes this sounds like a broken chrome directory in your profile directory.
Please take a careful look if you really removed/renamed your chrome directory.
Maybe you have two chrome directories under .mozilla-thunderbird and renamed
the wrong one?

$ ls /usr/lib/mozilla-thunderbird
chrome      greprefs           libgtkxtbin.so  libnss3.so     libprldap50.so  libxlibrgb.so       mozilla-thunderbird-bin             res
components  icons              libldap50.so    libnssckbi.so  libsmime3.so    libxpcom.so         mozilla-thunderbird-xremote-client  run-mozilla.sh
defaults    libgkgfx.so        libmozjs.so     libplc4.so     libsoftokn3.so  libxpcom_compat.so  regchrome                           startup-hooks.d
extensions  libgtkembedmoz.so  libnspr4.so     libplds4.so    libssl3.so      libxpistub.so       regxpcom
$ ls /usr/share/mozilla-thunderbird
chrome  icons  parts  res
$

apt-get install mozilla-thunderbird!

# apt-get install mozilla-thunderbird
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
mozilla-thunderbird is already the newest version.

You forgot the apt-get remove (or did I forgot it?) but anyway, since moving the whole .mozilla-thunderbird helped, the problem appears to be in your .mozilla-thunderbird directory and not in the global installation! So please ensure that you really renamed any chrome directories

--
 GPG messages preferred. |  .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux **
 Alexander Sack          | : :' :      The  universal