Re: gswitchit of X server problem?

Hi, I've just read your mail about gswitchit keyboard layouts regarding
Spanish input. I've seen that you have also an address from Japan, so
maybe you're trying to have both Japanese and Spanish keyboard layouts.
My case is the same (Debian unstable, GNOME 2.6). Have you solved your
problem yet?

In my case, after a lot of reading about XKB my opinion is that,
powerful as it may be, it's a very undocumented and obscure protocol and
no one really knows how it works exactly :) Especially, those of us who
try to use a western and a CJK language at the same time are really left
in the dark (I just cannot help but think about someone who uses Arabic,
Hebrew and Chinese, if such a case exists...) However, GNOME 2.4 worked
perfectly with the gkb applet. So far, the best solution I've managed to
get to is have two launchers in the panel with the following commands:

setxkbmap -rules xfree86 -model jp106 -layout jp

setxkbmap -types default -compat default -symbols "en_US(pc105)+es"
-model pc105

Right now I cannot tell you how I got there. It was about a month ago
after hours and hours of fiddling with setxkbmap and a lot of trial and
error. The issue seems to be that gswitchit can only change between
groups of the same map, but it cannot change maps themselves (and
Spanish and Japanese use different maps). However, I could be wrong.
I've read in some FC forums that removing the line Xkbrules "xfree86"
from XF86Config file helps but I haven't tried that. For the launchers,
if you want to use that solution, I use the sodipodi flags :)

I also think that the maps supplied by the X server in Debian are really
outdated in case you have a Japanese keyboard. Caps Lock/Eisuu, the
Yen/Pipe key, Kanji/Han/Zen, Henkan, Muhenkan, Katakana/Hiragana/Romaji
keys are not working as they're expected to (taking into account that
Shift and blue Alt should change their behaviour) and also the default
alternative Japanese group displays katakana instead of hiragana. Do you
know of any list where these matters are discussed. I'd be willing to
help. Do you know how things are in the X.org branch?

BTW, I write in English for the sake of the list :)