Re: Opium [was: Re: freelance sysadmining -- superlong -- [WAS: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"]]

On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 14:37, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 03:19:10PM -0500, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> > Personally, I think the whole federal government system  is corrupted and
> > bloated and it needs to be totally redone from scratch.  Unfortunately, I'm
> > prolly looking at this like a hacker. :(
>
> The Federal government at least has the virtue of being accountable to
> the public (at least in theory). And they are the only level of
> government that is big enough not to be pushed around by private power
> (corporations). Private power is the part of the equation that we're not
> supposed to pay attention to. Corporations are organized to generate
> profit for stockholders and are obviously not accountable to the public.
>
> This is not to say that the Federal government in the U.S. is ok. It has
> lots of problems. But the main reason that the media are against the
> Federal government is because it is potentially by and for the people.
> For the past 50 years the public relations industry has been working
> hard to make the federal government look bad (think about the X-files,

The gov't has been doing a good enough job on it's own, making it-
self look bad.  Face it: Madison Ave didn't invent Waco and Ruby
Ridge, nor spying on MLKjr, nor snail darters or spotted owls, or
NASA (bureaucrats and the shuttle accidents) or the Tea-pot Dome,
or a myriad of other incidents.

(This sig block is pretty appropriate for the current thread.)

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment
by men of zeal, well-meaning, but without understanding."
Justice Louis Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v US (1928)