Re: Opium [was: Re: freelance sysadmining -- superlong -- [WAS: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"]]

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 03:19:10PM -0500, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> Personally, I think the whole federal government system  is corrupted and
> bloated and it needs to be totally redone from scratch.  Unfortunately, I'm
> prolly looking at this like a hacker. :(

The Federal government at least has the virtue of being accountable to
the public (at least in theory). And they are the only level of
government that is big enough not to be pushed around by private power
(corporations). Private power is the part of the equation that we're not
supposed to pay attention to. Corporations are organized to generate
profit for stockholders and are obviously not accountable to the public.

This is not to say that the Federal government in the U.S. is ok. It has
lots of problems. But the main reason that the media are against the
Federal government is because it is potentially by and for the people.
For the past 50 years the public relations industry has been working
hard to make the federal government look bad (think about the X-files,
etc). Corporations don't mind state governments because they can simply
buy them or threaten them (threaten to move to another state), but it
isn't as simple to bully the federal government.

This is all outlined by Noam Chomsky in one of his audio CDs, the full
thing is available online in realaudio format (it's a proprietary
format, but mplayer can handle it :).

http://www.zmag.org/chomsky/audio/fmf.html

Bijan
--