Re: Initializing X clients

Hi,

brownh@hartford-hwp.com (Haines Brown) writes:

> Jaume,
>
> You missed one of my points, which was that the command prompt of the
> xterm disappeared as soon as there was keyboard input. Even the
> Ctl-Alt-Backspace to close the X server causes bash to terminate. I'm
> not sure bash quite made it in the first place, for the white
> insertion rectangle should have been solid, I suspect.
>
> I have a ~/.xsession-errors file, and when I press any key I get:
>
>   xterm: fatal IO error 32 (broken pipe) or KillClient on X server
>   ":0.0"
>
> Does this mean that in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 my keyboard is not
> properly configured? If so, would that have appeared to icewm as a bad
> option?

Weird ... To solve the problem, we need more information:

1.- Do you use
    a) a graphical login (xdm, gdm, kdm), or
    b) type "startx" at the console?

    case a): your keyboard sould be configured correctly, otherwise you
    would not be able to log in. You have some problem with your account
    configuration (check if you have ~/.xmodmap and put it off the way).

    case b): A problem with the keyboard is possible.

2.- Check /var/log/XFree86.*.log . Here the complete log of the X
    session is logged. Look specially for lines starting with "(EE)"
    (error) or "(WW)" warning. If you post this file, people will be
    able to help you better

3.- Debian version and version of packages.
    .- Are you running Stable (woody), testing (sarge) or unstable
    (sid)? (cat /etc/debian_version)
    .- Which version of packages? Get them with:

$ apt-cache policy xserver-xfree86
$ apt-cache policy x-window-system-core
$ apt-cache policy icewm

    etc. I strongly advise you to install  x-window-system-core or
    x-window-system to be sure that you did not leave any important X
    package out.

4.- You can reconfigure the xserver at any time with

$ dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Regards,

Jaume

--
Please answer to the group/list. Don't CC me.