Re: Initializing X clients

> > You missed one of my points, which was that the command prompt of the
> > xterm disappeared as soon as there was keyboard input. Even the
> > Ctl-Alt-Backspace to close the X server causes bash to terminate. I'm
> > not sure bash quite made it in the first place, for the white
> > insertion rectangle should have been solid, I suspect.
> >
> > I have a ~/.xsession-errors file, and when I press any key I get:
> >
> >   xterm: fatal IO error 32 (broken pipe) or KillClient on X server
> >   ":0.0"
>
> Weird ... To solve the problem, we need more information:

OK.

1. I don't use graphical login, but startx in console.

2. No (EE) or (WW) in /var/log/XFree97.0.log. It said it could not
   find Speedo path and so disposed of it. Otherwise, clean.

3. I'm running a new installation of debian Woody 3.0r.1 from
   cdrom. Kernel is 2.4.28-bf2.4. XFree86 is 4.1.0-16. X-window-system
   is installed and version 4.1.0-16. The icewm is 1.0.9.2-7.

> 4.- You can reconfigure the xserver at any time with
>
> $ dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

If it generates a functional configuration (with exeption it won't
know of my nVidia driver), that might represent a useful clean slate
(I did a lot of fiddling with my current configuration file, but it
originated with one that works for RedHat, same hardware). I'll give
this a try.

Haines