Re: Initializing X clients

Hi,

brownh@hartford-hwp.com (Haines Brown) writes:

> Get rid of everything: what a good idea!
>
> I got rid of everything, and in the .xsession put exec icewm. That
> didn't work. So I replaced the command with exec xterm. That did
> work--sort of.
>
> When I start x with the xterm execution, what I get is a black
> rectangle in upper left 2/3 of screen with a bash prompt. That sounds
> good, but everything else is bad:
>
> 1. The rest of the screen is trash background (a rough blend of colors
>    rather than (default?) blue. Shouldn't the terminal have been left
>    the remaining background intact?
>
> 2. The terminal has none of the features I'd normally expect a
>    terminal window to have, such as a window frame. That may be
>    because I've no window manager running yet.
>
> 3. The insertion point of the prompt is not a solid rectangle, but an
>    empty rectangle. Any keyboard input cause the prompt to disappear,
>    although the black rectangle remains.
>
> Interesting. I've no idea what it all means.

You are in X, but without a window manager (therefore the xterm lacks
all decorations). You can type any command in the xterm, for example:
type:

$ icewm &

This will start the icewm window manager. If any error occurs you will
see it in he xterm. (There are other window managers that you can try,
e.g. "fvwm". To get a list of all of them type

$ apt-cache search x-window-manager

you can install one of them, e.g.

$ apt-get install fvwm

and start it from your xterm (or in your .xsession).

Hope this helps,

Jaume

--
Please answer to the group/list. Don't CC me.