Re: system reboots before booting

Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

David Fokkema said:
I can only think of one thing now, but I don't see how that would lead
to your lilo not booting at all...
If you are using a kernel from debian, it might be that you need to
specify an initrd image like this:
initrd=/initrd.img

I don't have an initrd.img in the / or /etc folder. Not sure where else to
look for it (it's a custom kernel with ACPI, ALSA and nvidia support
compiled using the Debian Way).

Look in /boot for an initrd file; if it's there, the usual practice is to have symlink to it in the / directory, and a reference to it in /etc/lilo.conf in the appropriate stanza.

Since it's a custom kernel, you probably did not compile it to need initrd.img.

Emma's partial /etc/lilo.conf:

image=/vmlinuz
install=/boot/boot-menu.b

Do you have a "vmlinuz" (either the real file, or symlink to the real file) in /? Since you state that you don't have a boot-menu.b file, I would comment out that line (not that it _should_ matter).

I would:

1) Boot off the rescue CD, and mount the / partition (perhaps on /target)
2) Shell out, then "chroot /target"
3) Run "lilo". Are any errors the same as you posted earlier?
4) "exit" to get out of the chroot'd system
5) "shutdown -r now"

which I think you've done. Still, I would try it again, and maybe even a third time. If that didn't work, I might resort to grub instead of lilo, but if you've never used it before, it may be more hassle to figure it out than it's worth.