Re: Newbie bull brings own china shop.

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 08:04, Brian Durant wrote:
> I am a relative Newbie to Linux and totally new to Debian and this list.
> My first questions, which I hope aren't like the above subject, is how
> closely related is Xandros (formerly Corel) to Debian? Is it close

I've never used Xandros, but I assume it's mostly the same except for
some customizing in the installer and 'desktop' department.

> enough that list members wouldn't mind me posting problems to this list
> or is that verbotten? I know that Debian has a long and honored
> reputation of not including commercial software, but does that mean that
> no attempt is made to support commercial products, for example getting
> Win4Lin, Star Office or Codeweavers' Office and plug in products to run

For commercial software you can usually get good support from the
provider of that commercial software... that's what your paying for.

I've never used Win4Lin, but I know OpenOffice is working great for
debian, and it's also included in debian-main (unstable anyway).
Crossover also works perfectly.

> At this time, I am trying to get a working Linux version installed on my
> daughter's Fujitsu-Siemens Celvin EasyPC. This PC has no legacy serial
> or parallel ports, supports USB 1.1  and like the iMac, comes without a

Should not be any problem... as long as it boots from cd-rom

> built-in floppy drive. I have tried Mandrake PowerPack 9, SuSE 7.3 Pro
> and Xandros 1. I have had problems with all of these with regards to
> getting the SiS 900 Fast Ethernet driver (Ethernet built into

Get a debian (mini- or netinst-)cd and boot it with the 'bf24' option to
use a 2.4 kernel. The 2.4 kernels in debian support the sis900 out of
the box (I have them in my laptop and desktop systems)

> motherboard) to work properly. As the computer is connected to our home
> WAN/LAN, she hasn't been able to access the Internet or brows the
> Intranet. I am now in the process of burning the Debian 3 rev1 CDs and
> was wondering if there were any helpful comments or suggestions to any
> of the above.

On the isolinux prompt enter 'bf24'

--
Mark Janssen -- maniac(at)maniac.nl -- GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ SyConOS IT