Re: Resizing partitions..

On Sat, 2002-06-29 at 07:45, Andrew Biggadike wrote:

> >From GNU's parted webpage
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html) under Features: "For
> ext2, ext3 and reiserfs: the start of the partition must stay fixed."
> This would prevent me from doing what I had intended.  Does this mean I
> must use Partition Magic, or do you know of other Linux-side tools?  (I
> did a quick look, but discovered nothing substantial)

Yup. That's entirely true. The beginning of a ext2 partition MUST stay
fixed for a RESIZE operation. A MOVE operation, on the other hand, is a
completely different issue. :) Just move the partition down and then
resize it up instead of the other way around.

> Also, someone was telling me that if I wanted to resize the / partition
> I would have to boot to another partition (say, a floppy) and perform
> the operations while / was not mounted.  Does this sound accurate?

Yes, that's correct. You can get a floppy boot disk with parted already
on it on the parted home page. The official floppy images can be found
at:

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/bootdisk/

You can find lots of other ones if you do a quick google search.

> In an earlier post you had mentioned how odd it was to have /boot
> located where it was, and why - in that location - to have it at all.
> Those partitions were left from an earlier version of Red Hat that I was
> playing around with some time ago (before I installed woody), and that
> was its default/recommended disk setup.

You may want to just create a /boot on / and get rid of that partition.
That's another 50 MB you can put on your ext2 partition. (And /boot
should never really get much bigger than 4-5 MB.)

-Alex