Re: Resizing partitions..

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 20:37, Andrew Biggadike wrote:
> Ah, yes, I did forget to mention: I am using NT Loader to dual boot, so
> I believe lilo is on /dev/hda3 (though I'm still not exactly clear about
> everything).  Using the Windows loader shouldn't complicate matters at
> all, should it?

Sorry I got into this thread a bit late. Since it looks like you're
already using Partition Magic, just an ethical heads up for future
reference. With the exception of working with NTFS partitions, GNU
parted, in my experience, works much better than PM as far as resizing
goes. It's also a native linux app and is GPL'd therefore making it much
more attractive from the ethical standpoint. And best of all, unlike PM,
it won't butcher your partition numbers.

Since you're using the NT Bootloader, you don't have to worry about your
MBR while resizing. Since you're just going to be working with the tail
end of hda1 nothing before that should be affected. Now, you said you
wanted to take space from hda1 and add it to hda3 right? In this case
you're going to need to resize hda1, then either move or resize hda2 (to
get it next to hda1 again) and then resize hda3. I hope that makes
sense. :) As long as all of your parition numbers remain the same, this
shouldn't be an issue, though I'd make sure you have a boot disk handy
either way.

I used to use the NT Bootloader myself, but I got tired of needing to go
through two loaders to get to linux so I just put lilo in the MBR. Just
add:

other=/dev/hda1
label=Windows  <-- or whatever you want the label to be

to your /etc/lilo.conf.

Hope this helps. :)

-Alex