Re: Resizing partitions..

On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 12:46, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> Sorry I got into this thread a bit late. Since it looks like you're
> already using Partition Magic, just an ethical heads up for future
> reference. With the exception of working with NTFS partitions, GNU
> parted, in my experience, works much better than PM as far as resizing
> goes. It's also a native linux app and is GPL'd therefore making it much
> more attractive from the ethical standpoint. And best of all, unlike PM,
> it won't butcher your partition numbers.

What exactly do you mean by butcher your partition numbers?  I haven't
done it yet and might like to try parted - not necessarily for ethical
reasons (though I certainly understand what you're saying), but just to
learn more about linux.  My main concern is that I might mess it up, and
the other way seems to be easier.

> Since you're using the NT Bootloader, you don't have to worry about your
> MBR while resizing. Since you're just going to be working with the tail
> end of hda1 nothing before that should be affected. Now, you said you
> wanted to take space from hda1 and add it to hda3 right? In this case
> you're going to need to resize hda1, then either move or resize hda2 (to
> get it next to hda1 again) and then resize hda3. I hope that makes
> sense. :) As long as all of your parition numbers remain the same, this
> shouldn't be an issue, though I'd make sure you have a boot disk handy
> either way.

That's sort of what I had intended .. just shrinking hda1, sliding hda2
down, and giving the rest of the room to hda3.  I'll definitely have a
boot disk ..

> I used to use the NT Bootloader myself, but I got tired of needing to go
> through two loaders to get to linux so I just put lilo in the MBR. Just
> add:
>
> other=/dev/hda1
> label=Windows  <-- or whatever you want the label to be
>
> to your /etc/lilo.conf.

Hmm, I guess that would prevent me from having to `dd if=/dev/hda3
of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1` everytime I recompile the kernel, no?
After I add those lines, would all I have to do is `lilo -b /dev/hda`?

Thanks for all the info,

Andrew