Re: X too big; login double; fetchmail kaputt

on Fri, 11 Jan 2002 04:30:32AM +0100, marTin insinuated:
> also sprach Brenda J. Butler <bjb@achilles.net> [2002.01.11.0106 +0100]:
> > Also, the shells in my xterms do not even have the env variable
> > that previously existed in the /etc/environment file (LANG=C),
> > although in the shell that came up with the above experiment the
> > LANG variable was there.
>
> mine do. seriously. and no, there are *no* LANG= etc. lines in my
> user profile scripts (.zsh*), and the only place that lists LANG= in
> /etc (aside from vim, gtk, apache, lynx, and latex2html, which
> simply use it in a script), only /etc/environment lists it.
>
> > Weird...
>
> i concur.

no, wait, maybe not weird.  (?)  when i was doing stuff as root, i
again noticed the perl errors which i'd solved by putting those
"export" lines in my ~/.zshenv -- of course, as root didn't use zsh.
so i had put them in root's .bashrc, too, but as you pointed out,
martin, a more global solution would have been preferable.

so, i ran `dpkg-reconfigure locales` as per suggestion (guess i need
to read up on dpkg and its uses), and specified en_US as the locale to
be installed.  i then removed the two "export" lines from both my
~/.zshrc and root's .bashrc, sourced them both, and am still *not*
getting my perl locales errors.  so it would seem to me that running
`dpkg-reconfigure locales` was all it would have taken to begin with
-- i'm not sure what that reconfiguration has to do with what's in
/etc/environment, but the .[*sh]rc fixes were only local, as you'd
guessed.

this makes moderately more sense to me now, even though locales are
still moderately opaque, and i'm more pleased with this solution than
i was with the previous one.  so, again, thanks.  :)

</nori>

-------------------------http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori/jnl/daily.html