Re: X too big; login double; fetchmail kaputt

also sprach Brenda J. Butler <bjb@achilles.net> [2002.01.11.0106 +0100]:
> > good point. after all: [1]
> >
> >   1. http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/aix/files/aixfiles/environment.htm
>
> Right!  I always look to IBM AIX documentation to find out about my
> unix system ;-)

you too? cool. maybe we should meet.

nah, /etc/environment supposedly works the same on linux. at least it
fixed my perl locale issues. so it's either perl or system wide.

> Seriously, though, I'd never heard of the /etc/environment file
> so I looked it up with
>
>     find /etc -type f -exec grep "/etc/environment" {} \; -print
>
> and the only file returned was /etc/pam.d/login
>
> So /etc/environment would appear to be a pam artifact.

i really doubt that actually.

> I wonder what that means.... Specifically, I wonder if pam
> stuff is run when you su from one account to another?

of course. how else would you authenticate? do a `su` with a wrong
password and check /var/log/auth.log.

> Also, the shells in my xterms do not even have the env variable that
> previously existed in the /etc/environment file (LANG=C), although
> in the shell that came up with the above experiment the LANG variable
> was there.

mine do. seriously. and no, there are *no* LANG= etc. lines in my user
profile scripts (.zsh*), and the only place that lists LANG= in /etc
(aside from vim, gtk, apache, lynx, and latex2html, which simply use it
in a script), only /etc/environment lists it.

> Weird...

i concur.

> Does this all mean that I have to log out all my windows, get back to
> the xdm prompt in order to log back in and get the effect of the
> /etc/environment file?

it shouldn't. it's supposedly setting the environment for each and every
process exec()'d.

> I'll never understand this plethora of startup files...  Even
> as I start to understand some of the maze, more parts are
> being hatched for the next version (or the next "layer":
> pam, X windows, etc, etc, etc).

it's actually not too bad. you should start by reading the "from boot to
bash prompt" howto, then go from there...

"if beethoven's seventh symphony
 is not by some means abridged,
 it will soon fall into disuse."
                             -- philip hale, boston music critic, 1837