Re: RFC: Beginner's vim tutorial

On Thursday 10 January 2002 23:27, Donald R. Spoon wrote:
> Jesse Goerz <jgoerz@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > I just wrote a beginner's vim tutorial over at
> > http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/text_editing/vim.html
> >
> > I would appreciate it if the vim guru's would take a look at
> > it and let me know if I've made any errors or have any
> > suggestions.
> >
> > What I really need is a co-author who can fill in the gaps.
> > Any help at all would be great.
> >
> >  --snip-- <
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jesse
>
> I am not a "guru" but I have some comments:

It was aimed at any feedback or suggestions.  I am stumped
on how to begin a few of the sections and thought I might plead
to the masters ;)

> 1. THANKS!!  I have always considered VI and VIM "impossible"
> and the associated docs were absolutely confusing.  I am now
> motivated to go "climb that mountain"!

You're welcome.  I learned a lot just writing it, so the
motivation wasn't purely philanthropic.  It's worth it just to
get to the foothills, trust me, I know.

> 2. I have always had problems at the start remembering
> keyboard commands on ANY wordprocessor / editor that I have
> ever tried.  VI/VIM has been especially perplexing because I
> cannot determine the under-lying logic used in its design.
> This means I am constantly in the "help" section and reading
> the docs and never get any work done.  Eventually I give up
> and go to something that I have already learned and use it.
> Are you aware of ANY documention that will give a historicaly
> perspective about VI/VIM?  How did it evolve?  Why was this
> particular set of commands chosen?  Is there any "logic"
> (neumonics?) available to help remember important commands for
> the beginner? (Example:  Wordstar's command keys were layed
> out in a geometric manner on the keyboard.  Once I knew this I
> could usually figure out a command sequence and NOT have to
> refer to the docs/help menus nearly as much.)

Try taking a peak at the vimtutor.  Also, try to learn it
incrementally.  You won't learn all the commands in a day, week,
or even a month.  Learn 10 commands you know you'll use and
practice them till you can do them without thinking about it.
The vimtutor will contain most of the commands you need to get
going.  (Once I found the vimtutor, I did it everyday for four
days, it does help)  When those commands start feeling slow or
restrictive, search out new commands or create maps to make
complex commands into simple ones.

Jesse