Re: X too big; login double; fetchmail kaputt

also sprach nori heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> [2002.01.11.0045 +0100]:
> > If the command is fixed, then you have to find a way to
> > run the file that contains LC_ALL when you start a new
> > shell (probably run it from your $HOME/.bashrc, or put
> > the commands directly in your $HOME/.bashrc, or put
> > them in $HOME/.bash_profile, or something).
>
> i had tried this before, but i was doing it along with about six
> thousand other modifications, so it hadn't worked, for some reason.
> now i've isolated the problem and tried running those export commands
> at the shell prompt again, and presto!  problem solved.  so, i stuck
> them straight in .zshenv, right at the end.  beautiful; fixed!
> thanks!!

it's not in .zshrc/.bashrc on my systems, and i don't have the problem.
sure, you can stop here, but these things aren't in /etc/skel and thus
it can't be the right way to fix it.

out of curiosity (if you even want to pursue this further, ms.
going-to-be-a-responsible debian developer), have you tried

dpkg-reconfigure locales

?

> i wonder now why /etc/environment, even after it was modified to
> contain all those variable seetings, hadn't been overriding this, or
> at least obviating it ...

good point. after all: [1]

  1. http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/aix/files/aixfiles/environment.htm

"it would be truly surprising
 if sound were not capable of suggesting colour,
 if colours could not give the idea of the melody,
 if sound and colour were not adequate to express ideas."
                                                     -- claude debussy